Care and Cleaning of Your Colorado School of Mines Ring
Your ring has been carefully sized. Since temperature and exercise often affect the size of your finger, we recommend that you wear your ring at least two (2) weeks before you consider a change in the size of the ring.
- Even the purest of gold or silver jewelry will tarnish or discolor if subjected to harsh cleaning materials, acids or alkalines. Your ring will return to its original lustre if polished with a good jewelry cleaner or washed with mild soap. Finish by buffing with a soft cloth.
- To preserve the beauty and lustre of your ring, clean it with mild detergent in lukewarm water and then rinse. Dry with a soft cloth. Do not use any brush, sharp instruments or rough cloths for cleaning.
- To protect your ring from permanent damage and discoloration, avoid any contact with mercury or harsh acids. Be sure to remove your ring before coming into contact with these harmful chemicals.
- To safeguard against breakage or nicks, always remove your ring before engaging in sports or heavy labor. Quality gemstones and precious metals cannot withstand abuse of this nature. Treat your ring as you would any fine jewelry. When removing your ring, store it carefully and do not leave it unprotected.
- An extremely small number of people may have a reaction between their skin oils and quality jewelry products which results in a black colored smudge on their skin. This condition can generally be avoided by cleaning jewelry more frequently as described above.